Who would have thought this would become the norm? With the looming COVID-19 threat and a change in how we live our everyday lives, I wanted to provide a few insights as to how to most effectively and efficiently work from home.
Working from Home Rocks
Here are some benefits of working from home:
- You have an excuse NOT to do chores—because you’re working 🙂
- Why would you even have to get out of your pajamas?
- Bras? Forget it.
- Your pets will LOVE it!
- Saves gas in your car and the environment.
- You’ll be able to create that zen space in your house you’ve been wanting
- No more bad hair days.
- Eat when you’re hungry, not just because it’s break time.
- Spend more quality time with loved ones.
- You can’t procrastinate because you don’t have any social excuses.
How to Make it Work
There are many things you can do to make your transition into working from home easier. Here are our top tips for staying productive during the self-quarantine:
- Get up early to start a productive day. We recommend starting your day distraction free, which means not immediately hopping on your phone. Some things you can do instead include meditating, doing an at home workout, writing in a journal or reading a book for a bit.
- Set a schedule and stick to it. If you normally work 9-5, keep consistency in your schedule by also setting your work hours at home from 9-5. This will help you create boundaries between your work life and your at home life.
- Leave your phone in your bedroom—or far away from your workspace—while you’re on the clock. Nothing is more distracting than constant notifications from your news apps or social media.
- Use pomodoro timers to get work done and stay focused.
- In conjunction with the pomodoro timer suggested above, make sure you stand. up and move at least once every hour. Stretch, workout, go for a quick walk around the block. Make sure to give your body a break from sitting and just MOVE—unless your cat is on your lap, that makes it hard.
- Take a nap if you’re tired, they’re actually healthy. Just make it short, 20 minutes is perfect in order to refresh your system.
- Get set up for online telecommunicating, such as Skype, Zoom, FaceTime, Slack or another platform of your choice. Create time to co-work with other individuals so you maintain a connection with other human beings. This will help us all from going stir crazy while we self-quarantine.
- Turn on soothing music, or soundscapes, to help you stay focused. Here are a few of our favorite options:
- Listen to podcasts for thoughtful “interaction” and learning. Our top podcast picks include:
As we continue to navigate this dynamic world event, we are unsure how long we will remain in quarantine. Because of this, we have to be prepared to work from home for long periods of time and still remain productive while doing so. We hope these tips help you find your groove in this challenging time we are all facing. Try not to panic and enjoy it. Working from home is fun!
As an extra FREE GIFT, if you want more daily productivity and support from us, enter your information and download our Productivity Planner! Be sure to share your stories and images with #clickcollective on Facebook!